Sunday, January 28, 2007

Old Man Gout and the Cast Cozy

There seems to be a plague on our house, or rather, a curse on our coachhome. As you know, I'm in a cast for my Schrodinger's Scaphoid (one doctor says it's fractured, one doctor says it's not, a third says that we won't know if it's fractured until we take it out of the cast and have a look: Schrodinger's Scaphoid). Last wednesday, Paul started complaining that his toe hurt. As we know from previous history (http://dorktasticoddments.blogspot.com/2006/01/clot.html), whenever Paul actually complains about something hurting, we end up in Emergency in the middle of the night in January (Yes, twice is more than coincidence.) It turns out that he has gout. The problem is that it's really hard to find a medication for gout that he can take because he's still on the blood thinners from the clots in his arm last January.

I've decided that I don't understand emergency triage. When I went in vomiting blood a week after surgery, I waited for more than four hours to see a doctor. When Paul went in with gout we waited less that 5 minutes. He was taken in over a girl who had been run over by a taxi and had been waiting for over two hours already. We were out before she got in! I just don't get it.


We've decided that the two of us couldn't have any more "old" sounding diseases; Paul with the blood clot and gout and me with bursitis in my left hip. I've taken to calling Paul 'Old Man Gout' (and 'my gouty friend', because 'gouty' is fun to say!)

On to more exciting news, that same day the marvelous Sarah (http://sarahjanet.blogspot.com/index.html) delivered my 'Cast Cozy' just in the nick of time since the weather was really cooling off. My fingers had been pretty cold the first few days in my cast so I had asked Sarah if she would be able to knit me a mitten that fit my cast. I had the idea, Sarah covered design and manufacturing and Paul came up with the perfect name (the three of us should go into business!). I love my Cast Cozy!

Me and my cast cozy!

Cast Cozy in action!

Unfortunately it is quite phallic.

1 comment:

Doris said...

Hey Karen, just found your blog after googling "broken scaphoid"... so just so you don't feel like you're on you're own well i did mine too.... on 13th Jan coming off my mountain bike! Right hand too - ain't it a pain! Had to get my cast cut today as think i've overdone things as my hand did some weird swelling thing! Anyhow, i have another 2 and a bit weeks left then hopefully i'm free! Good luck with your recovery!!
All the best, Karen