Monday, January 21, 2008

WWF meets WWF

It's been a hockey couple of days.

On Saturday night we went to watch a Panda's game at the U. It was a choir alumni event and we were booked into the "skybox". For 5 bucks, we got our game tickets, pizza, pop, munchies, door prizes and cheap booze. Not bad at all for a Saturday night. We were left wondering why on earth we didn't do this when we were students. It was a good game. We won 5-2 and scored an empty net goal in the last 8 seconds.

The game was against the Winnipeg Bison and we're the Pandas. Of course this match up had me speculating when on earth bison and pandas would come in contact without the intervention of man and what would happen if they did. It was a case of WWF meets WWF: World Wildlife Fund meets World Wrestling Federation. I was of the opinion that the bison would take the panda easily, while Paul said that the Panda could just take a bamboo shoot and stick it between the bison's legs, just like shoving it into the spokes on a bicycle. I maintain that even taking into account the use of tools the bison would prevail. Having worked with bison I have a more than healthy respect for their power (I saw an experienced worker get gored through the shoulder despite the chute and cattle prod.) We then debated a match up between a polar bear and a bison (polar bear wins), brown bear and bison (bison wins), a grizzly and a bison (tie). Really we should have been speculating about why our team is called the Pandas when Pandas are indiginous to China.

Tonight was my first hockey game in a year. I injured my wrist in January and so was out for that term, then I injured my foot and was out for fall term. I was pleasantly surprised with how well my foot held up; I was able to play the entire game. It took me a while to get used to playing again but after a few shifts it all started coming back to me. I missed both the physical activity and the team environment. It's good to be back.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, if you're not playing hockey, how come there hasn't been more posting, huh?

I'm not 100% sure I concurr with your assessment of the Bison's chances against bears - since grizzlies and polar bears are about the same size, they should have equal chances against both, and full grown male bison will have a 500-1000lb size advantage over any kind of bear.

Of course, that being said, bison are succeptable to being hunted by packs of wolves.

See you sunday, if I can make it to the chat room.

Wolfe_boy

Liam J. said...

I'll agree with your assessment of bison. They beat pandas gray.

'Cuz, see, pandas are black and white, and all that would get jumbled from how badly they'd been beaten. See?