Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Home Sweet Home

Paul and I recently became homeowners. In the current market this may seem a little crazy, but it just seems to be the way we work. Nothing is ever easy or straightforward for us and we ended up buying at the market peak. Fortunately my friends Tara and Steve were building a new home and were trying to sell their house. Based on what was on the market for that price at that time (money pits) they gave us a deal. Based on what they paid less than four years ago, we gave them a deal (more than double). It was win:win. Initially I was hesitant about buying from friends; normally the easiest way to ruin a friendship is to get money involved. As time went on and we looked at more and more houses that were falling down or had "what to do when your sewer line is blocked" pamphlets or clearly had a pot farm in the garage, we came to realize that their home might be the home for us.

It helps that I trust Tara and Steve completely. I've known Steve since he was 12 and I was 13. We both used to arrive at school really early in the mornings in Junior High (which will shock those of you who have seem me in the morning). Our lockers happened to be across from each other, and we would sometimes chat while we waited. I found him to be nice, intelligent and funny, which are not exactly common qualities in a seventh grader. We had similar taste in books and exchanged suggestions. I apparenlty raised his social status significantly by dancing with him at a school dance (ooo! Steve is dancing with an eigth-grade girl), but all I really remember is he didn't step on my feet. Steve is one of my all-time favorite people. He is still nice, intelligent and funny, but his practical joking side is much more apparent now (be careful to fully examine anything he tells you before acting).

I've known Tara since she was 14, and I was 15, but we didn't become friends until two years later. In our Bio 30 class we bonded while mocking the birthing video we were forced to watch. We were lab partners for that half of the year, we shared a drama class and we were involved in several out of class Drama projects. Our last term in high school we shared the torture of Math 31 and we knew we were going on to University together, in the Bachelor of Science program. We planned our schedules so that we had many of the same classes, and we survived first year Calculus together, if barely.

Tara and Steve started dating in Grade 12 and got married 10 years later. I was on the ski trip where they started dating and I was a bridesmaid in their wedding. I took the first photo of them as a couple, which is still a favorite. When my first university boyfriend broke my heart, they didn't hesitate: they took me out, on their anniversary no less, and bought me drinks and dinner and made sure I wasn't wallowing. Steve even paid for me. These are true friends.

And now I've moved in to their home, which feels a bit weird. I haven't quite made the mental transition from "their home" to "our home". It's kind of like my furniture is just visiting. In my mind, when I'm driving home I'm really driving over to their place.

I'm not sure how long the transition will take or what will cause the change. Maybe the first time we have our friends over, or once the boxes are unpacked and everything has a place. Maybe when I stop having to fiddle with the light switches to find the right one, or when I start remembering that the fridge door doesn't stop but swings wide and crashes against its side. Maybe when I can park in the garage instead of on the driveway. Maybe one day soon it will feel like home.

No comments: