Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Swiss Madness

I had a long nap after work, yet again, and am now wide awake in the middle of the night. Right now I can't write about any of the things that I need to process; they're not ready to be shared, for one reason or another.
___________

Today I discovered the final piece of proof that producers have gone insane. I present to you as evidence: the 4.5 kg Toblerone bar. 4.5 kg! Do you have any idea how big that is? Almost 10 pounds of 'Swiss Milk Chocolate with Honey and Almond Nougat'. This pyramidal chocolate log is almost as long as my arm and costs $80 CDN. (The photo really does not do it justice.) What on earth are they compensating for? The Swiss have clearly lost their minds.



I love chocolate as much as the next person, but that's excessive!

Up until this point I have had a soft spot in my heart for the Toblerone. Ira and I buy each other Toblerones every year for Christmas (although never one that big). It's a running joke that we've forgottened the punch line for; now it's just what we do. (I think the original was something along the lines of the discrepancy in spending power between him and an ex-girlfriend. You had to be there.) At any rate, our annual Toblerone exchange says, "I still love you, my dear friend." but avoids the involvement of our complicated history in our gift purchasing practices.


For those of you who are new here, Ira and I dated for 5 years, had a messy breakup (primarily my fault), he was justifiably angry with me for about a year, we spent a couple of years rebuilding our friendship and he was a bridesmaid (bride's guy) in my wedding. He is still one of my most favorite people in the world. His new girlfriend is a little...unusual...so I mostly only hear from him when she's out of town and also at Folk Fest, which we both volunteer for.

The photo below is from one of the Volunteer Parties last year. Both of us are very sensitive to the flash and almost always have our eyes closed in photos (in fact this is the last of a series of five photos, four of which have eyes shut). My photo for my FAC (Firearms Aquisition Certificate) is very similar to this one, again from trying not to blink. Ira calls it my "Give Me Gun" face. I was surprised to actually receive my license after submitting a photo where I clearly look crazy.



Ira and Karen



See you from the bell tower!

1 comment:

SarahJanet said...

Ha! Last year on Jamie's band trip one of the grade 10 kids took up a collection to purchase one of the enormous Toblerones. We contributed $5 and thus, at the end of the year band party, got a chunk of the Toblerone for our very own! It was surprisingly satisfying but very hard to eat. You kind of had to gnaw on it.

So there you go. It is apparently marketed to large groups of high school kids and their easily amused teachers. (And their teachers' spouses.)