Sunday, December 17, 2006

Karaokitage & Guitar Heroes

Last night I had a birthday party, which Sarah and I planned and held at her work. (It’s very handy having a friend that works at a nice library.) We ordered in pizza and played Karaoke Revolution, Guitar Heroes II and board games until the wee hours of the morning (I wonder if they’re called wee because the numbers are small.)



Kaley "helping" Liz with Karaoke Revolution.



We made an interesting discovery playing Karaoke Revolution. Devin, who is a fabulous singer, was scoring quite poorly on the “expert” setting while I, who am not a fabulous singer, was scoring very well. It occurred to me that he uses quite a bit of vibrato and other inflections in his singing, while I use only a minimal amount. I’ve played Karoke Revolution before and so I knew to eliminate as much deviation from the pure note as I could. As Devin put it “to win at Karaoke Revolution you have to sing badly”, ergo I am a bad singer (is that the correct use of ergo? I don’t care if I’m a bad singer if I used ergo correctly. I don’t actually think I’m a bad singer, but I am definitely not a soloist and never will be. I like to blend and sing harmonies. That’s what makes me happy.) It is interesting, though, that a singing game promotes the most boring way of singing. We have way more fun to listening to people play on the “Easy” setting (plus then you can make all the standard jokes about being easy.) We also invented Karaokitage.

Karaokitage: to sabotage a Karaoke Revolution performance by singing and yelling randomly in the singer’s ear so that they do not pass your high score.



In the other room, we played Guitar Heroes II, which I enjoy but am quite terrible at (although I did get 76% on the “Medium” setting). Jamie is my Guitar Hero; he scored 86% accurate on the expert setting. Hot damn!



Playing Pirate's Cove.

Possibly the best part of the night was hanging out with all of the kids.








Doesn't that look like fun?

2 comments:

The Doc said...

Wow, did I really say that? That sounds really jerky. I thought I said "to win at Karaoke Revolution you have to sing boring", which isn't much better, but less insensitive.

Karen said...

I don't think it was jerky. I think that we all knew it was a bit of an exageration, though. We were at least on pitch, but singing like a machine is not singing well (I think we would all agree on that). To win the game you had to sing like a machine.