Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Vacation?

I'm doing something I have never done before. It started at 4:30 today. For the first time ever, I am actually taking a vacation from work where I don't go anywhere, I don't volunteer for anything and, most of all, I don't go in to work (you'd think that part would be obvious, but I obviously have issues). I cannot remember the last time I have done this, maybe late elementary/early junior high. That means that I have not really had a break since I was 11 (I started working when I was 11). That's 20 years! No wonder I'm tired.

I really needed a break in mid-November, and I did take a couple of days off, but I'm actually glad that I didn't take my big break then because it would have been a shorter break (I'm actually only taking 7 vacation days to have 18 straight days work-free) and I would have spent the entire time stewing about work. Now I've calmed down and worked through a number of issues and one of the people that stirs up issues has quit. My desk is in good shape and I don't have an aggressive amount of work lurking gargoyle-like on it, awaiting my return.

My plans for my vacation (18 days!!!):
1) Don't get deathly ill like previous years (inner ear infection and mono).
2) Have some quality time with the out of towners (who start arriving tomorrow).
3) Clean out some boxes that have moved around with me from place to place for 7 years now.
4) Do some scrapbooking.
5) Have a "day in bed" with Paul (meaning we wake up, have waffles and bacon for breakfast in bed and watch TV and movies all day in our PJs)
6) Find my desk (at home, not at work)
7) Sleep up to 12 hours a day (this is a goal, not a limit).
8) Get some exercise of the non-impact variety (I love dance and hockey but they're only good for me in the cardio sense, they're both terrible for my joints). Do my physio excercises and stretches.
9) Alphebetize our CDs and rip many of them to Gromit. Put better music on Wallace.
10) Relax, have some fun and go back to work rested, healthy and happy.

As I said, I've never done this before so feel free to comment on my goals. Am I being too ambitious? What critical element am I missing? Or does my list look pretty good?

1 comment:

Xeryfyn said...

You forgot: "Make some time on January 1st to visit with Chris!!!"

We get in on the 1st and will be having people over to visit. Email with details to follow :)